Established in 1993, VGSoM is the first B-school within the IIT system. IIT Kharagpur was the first IIT and still remains the largest the most diversified. VGSoM was established with the mission - “To develop outstanding management professionals and future CEOs who will lead organizations especially in technology-driven and knowledge-based industries, for the service of the nation and the community”. World renowned for its technological prowess, IIT Kharagpur has leveraged its strengths in developing VGSoM as a business management school of top caliber.
VGSOM admits students on the basis of the Common Admission Test (CAT), which is also used by the IIMs, IITs and other top B- schools in India. The average CAT score of our students is around 96 percentile. From over 5000 applications around 800 were shortlisted for GD/PIs and finally around 120 calls were rolled out. So every VGSoM student is in the top 2.5% of all the shortlisted applicants. When looking at a VGSoM student, you can indeed expect the top quality and well-rounded human resource.
The pedagogy involves concept classes and case studies. The rich and diverse work experience of the students adds another dimension to the whole learning process. We have 20+ full time resident faculty who have doctoral degrees from top institutes & rich industrial and management experience at senior corporate levels. Apart from this VGSoM also has the luxury of numerous adjunct faculties offering courses from various departments of the most diverse IIT in India. VGSoM boasts of an enviable student faculty ratio of 4:1. The 2 year MBA curriculum covers a minimum of 93 credits in 4 semesters. The first two semesters offer a judicious mix of managerial subjects in the fields of Finance, Marketing, Operations, Systems and HR. Thereafter, in the 3rd and the 4th semester, the students are allowed to select seven electives from a plethora of offered electives (as per the students’ field of interest) along with 3 core subjects. Students also undertake an 8 -10 weeks summer internship in various reputed business firms at the end of the 1st year.
VGSoM conducts regular industry interaction sessions in the form of guest lectures, summits and conferences. Industry stalwarts of the level of CXOs and VPs, visit the institution on a regular basis and keep the students updated with the latest happenings of the industry.
• Sanjoy Sen, Div CIO, ITC
• Saugata Gupta, CEO, Marico
• Jaspreet Bindra, Director, Microsoft
• Divyesh L, Director, Ernst & Young
• Sudeshna M, Director (Marketing), Phillips
• Suranjan B, Credit Head, BNP Paribas
• Mridula S, VP (HR), Goldman Sachs
• Uday G, VP Mining, Aditya Birla Group
• Prabhash G, Head Marketing, Tata Steel
• Shefalika S, CMO, Microsoft India
• Amandeep K, Director, HCL America
• Abraham Koshy, Professor, IIM Ahmedabad
VGSOM boasts of a stong student community and the following are completely student driven entities at VGSoM.
• Placement Committee
• Corporate & Media Interactions cell
• MAD – The Marketing & Advertisement Club
• Finterest – The Finance Club
• Consulting Club – The Consulting club
• SCOPE – The Supply Chain & Operations club
• TechComm – VGSoM IT club
• E-Cell – The Entrepreneurship Club
• Purvodaya– The Annual Business Festival
• Saamanjasya & Madison Avenue – The annual events
• Alumni committee
• Admissions committee, Quiz club, Sports & Cultural committees and other student run clubs
• Shreya Singh, Vice President (GPCM), HSBC
• Shibashish Roy, Associate Vice President, Tata Capital (Singapore)
• Gopal Agrawal, Chief Investment Officer, MIRAE Asset
• Rabin Roy, Managing Director & CEO, SunCraft Energy Private Limited
• Krishna Kumar V, Vice President, IL&FS Transportation Limited
• Devarsh Vakil, Head Advisory, HDFC Securities
• Deepak Semwal, Chief manager, Spencers retail
• Shouvik Bhattacharya, Sr. Associate, Booz-Allen & Hamilton, New York
• Pranab Sharma, Sr. Consultant at Simon-Kucher & Partners
• Sumeet Ladsaongikar, Senior Consultant, PricewaterhouseCoopers
• DeepakVadehra, Area Manager, Mercedes Benz Trucks